Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I Am Not My Own, I Belong To You!

 

Looking out a window 2

1 Corinthians 6:19-20New International Version (NIV)

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

 

If you are my friend on Facebook, then I don’t think that it is any surprise to you that music means a lot to me. I grew up around music. I can (or at least could) play several different instruments. I was a music major for a while in college before I changed to education. I just love music.

Music is a big part of my spiritual life as well. Music has helped my spiritual walk a lot throughout the ages. I almost everyday listen to Christian music on YouTube that helped me grow spiritually.

Today, during one of my devotional times, God out a certain song into my mind. It’s a song that I first heard way back in the 80’s. Two different artists sang it and both did an excellent job. It goes like this:

I am not my own, I belong to You
I am not my own, I belong to You

So hard to cope, so hard to survive
In a cold and empty world
But there's one hope that keeps me alive
A hope that's clear and true
That hope is You

I am not my own, I belong to You
I am not my own, I belong to You
To You, my faithful Savior
You have called me, You have claimed me
I belong to You

I can't explain how belonging to You
Can make me truly free
But I'll remain in the joy that I knew
When I first came to see
Your love for me

There still are questions running in my mind
There still are answers I can't find
While those anxieties may come and go
There's still one truth that I can know

I am not my own, I belong to You
I am not my own, I belong to You
To You, my faithful Savior
You have called me, You have claimed me
I belong to You

I am not my own
I belong to You
I am not my own
I belong to You

I don’t know why God brought that verse to mind. Maybe it’s because today was a tough day ministry wise. Sometimes I think that I get too emotionally involved in the situations that we face as missionaries to low income folks. I have to remember that God has this all in His hand. He has it under control. He has the kids that I work with in His hand as well. He knows what He is doing. He is my loving Father and He is their loving Father.

Anyway, this song really spoke to me once again today, as it first did years ago. Maybe God will use it to speak to one of you, my readers, as well. Below are two versions of this song that I found on YouTube. One is by the composer, James Ward, the other by a very popular Christian singer Kathy Troccoli. Both versions are excellent. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment