Saturday, December 24, 2016

Forget Mary Did you know! Do You Know?

 

Mirror 2

I had a “Mary Did You Know” moment the other day. You’ve heard of “Mary Did You Know” haven’t you? It’s the famous Christmas song written by Mark Lowery, the Christian singer. The song wonders if Mary, the mother of Jesus, actually knew who the baby was that she was held. Did she realize that He was the Lamb of God? The Great I Am? The Savior? The complete song is posted below for you to listen to.

Well, I had one of those moments a few days ago when I was doing my devotions. It was talking about the sons of Jacob. As it listed the different sons I couldn’t help to think if they had any inkling in their heads about their lineage.

Did Levi have any idea that his descendants were going to be the Priests of the Old Testament? You know, the priests that were to sacrifice the peoples offerings to God; take care of the temple; enter into God’s presence once a year when the go into the Holy of Holies. They were chosen by God for this awesome task. They were special. They were the servants of the Almighty!

Did Judah have any idea that from his line of children Jesus Christ was to be born? The One who was to die for all of our sins? The Savior of the world?

Of course, because of the Bible, we have the gift of hindsight. We know what happened. And, of course, Levi and Judah had no idea what was going to happen to their children’s children and their children’s children’s children and their . . . well, you know what I mean.

You know something, though? That is exactly the point. They didn’t know. And neither do we. We have no idea what is going to happen on down the line in our families. We have no idea what our grandchildren are going to become, or our great children or on down.

All God has called us to do is to be faithful. Faithful to do what He has called us to do. Faithful to how He wants us to raise our families. Faithful to how He wants us to treat others. Faithful to the ministries that He has given us. He just wants us to be faithful. If we are faithful then He will do the rest.

I often get discouraged in the ministry that God has given. I wonder if I am making any difference in the lives of others. I wonder if I am making any difference in my family. I need to be reminded that all I have to do is be faithful. I need to be faithful to what God has called ME to do.

Why? Because I don’t know.

I don’t know what is going to happen to my kids. I don’t know what they are going to do. I don’t know what they are going to become. I don’t know any of those things about my grandkids either. Nor my great grandkids.

I don’t know any of those things about my spiritual kids either – the kids and adults that I have ministered to and/or am ministering to.

I don’t know what any of them are going to be. Perhaps, because Sarah and I were faithful, a great missionary is going to come from our line. Or maybe a great pastor or evangelist. Or maybe a Christian businessman. Or may be a great Christian leader.

We just don’t know. All we know is that God has called us to be faithful. Just like He called Mary and Joseph to be faithful even though they had no idea what that little baby was going to become. They were to just. be. faithful.

So, my friend. We need to just. be. faithful. too.

JUST BE FAITHFUL!

1 Corinthians 15:58

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment