Sunday, March 29, 2015

Scripture Sunday - The Poor and the Needy

 
 
Proverbs 31:8-9 “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” (NIV)
 
 
I remember a few years ago when a Facebook friend unfriended me because I posted something about Compassion International and how we financially support a child from Compassion and are correspondence sponsors for five other children. He lambasted me for sending my money overseas when there are so many poor in our own country. I tried to explain that our ministry at home was to low income families and that much of our money and time goes to Good News Ministries, our ministry.
 
I understand completely (more than you know) that the poor of our own country are often overlooked, I also am wholly aware of the poverty in other countries as well. Sarah and I fully believe and teach to our kids that anyone can be a missionary and that we should start at home and then advance outward.
 
Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (NIV)
 
 
There are poor in our own town, in our country, in neighboring countries, and all around the world. God doesn't want us to forget the poor and the needy anywhere on earth. God wants us to help all of them. However, there is one thing that he requests, whatever you do and whomever you choose to help do it not for yourselves, but for Him.

1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (NIV)





 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment