Friday, January 20, 2012

What are the Tinkel's Reading Right Now - A Year in Review!



I've made a goal for myself this year. I want to read two books a month. Now, I've always said that I read a lot, and I do! But, I don't always read books! I read magazines, books, articles and blogs on the internet, newspaper, the cereal box - you name it - I read it. I need to read more books, though. It seems like I'm always reading a book, or two, or three, but it just takes me forever to read one. So, I've set a goal (I'm really into goals these days - aren't I) of reading 24 book this year. Well, I'm behind already. If I'm going to read 24 book, I'm already one book behind. I need to get started quick!

After a discussion I was involved in about favorite books, I decided to reflect on what I had read and really enjoyed last year. For most of the year I was really into classics. I read a couple of Dickens novels and really liked them - Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol. I also read Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and really enjoyed it. Last spring I began reading classics to preview for my children and appreciated The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham and Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. My dad loved Gene Stratton Porter because he grew up in Indiana and that's where most of Porter's books take place so, I read a couple of them and loved them as well Freckles and A Girl of the Limberlost. Canadians might find it interesting that I read one of Canada's classic authors last year - W. O. Mitchell. Who Has Seen the Wind is now one of my favorite books. It's not for everyone, but I loved it. If you like Disney World and adventure, you would like The Key to the Kingdom by Jeff Dixon.That was one of my spring readings as well. I also read some religious authors - I like Andrew Murray, but some of his stuff is deep. For some reason, the Lord really helped me read and spoke to me through The Deeper Christian Life. A fantastic book. I also read a biography of Martin Luther but I don't have the book in front of me and the author slips my mind at the moment. It, as well, was a very good book. I'm sure there are some books that I'm missiong that I read. How many do I have listed though? Eleven! Well, that's almost half of my goal for this year!



But, no more time for chit-chat! I've got work to do. I need to read! What am I reading now? Well, as usual I've got two books going - Radical by David Platt and Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne. Unfortunately the latter is downloaded on my phone and John Allen is also reading it for school. So, in order not to confuse the page that he is on, I have put it aside for a week or so. Perhaps I'll find another great book and start reading it. Almost all classics are free for download from Amazon or Barnes and Noble. You don't even have to have a Kindle or a Nook, just download the application on your phone, other tablet, or even computer.

So, what are you reading? Leave a comment and let me know. Happy Reading!

Powered by Qumana

No comments:

Post a Comment