Friday, January 13, 2017

The Greatest of these is Love.

 

Skiler Picture

I love you can mean many things.

It can be said by a husband or wife to their spouse.

It can be said by a child to their parent of a parent to their child.

It can be said to someone very special to you.

It can also be said or written in different ways.

In this case it was written like this – I Y you! And it was written on the back windshield of my car.

Before I tell who who wrote it and why it is so special to me, I need to give you a little background.

I know it sounds cliché, but if you would have told me a year ago where where my ministry would be right now and what my family would be preparing for right now I would have thought you were crazy. I would have never thought that my regular Sunday afternoon routine would be visiting boys in not one but two boy’s homes both over an hour away from my house. I would have never thought that we would be buying a house that is beyond what I thought we would be able to buy right now. I especially would have never thought that we would be preparing to invite three teenage brothers into our home as foster sons.

However, God has grand plans for us if we only seek His will and desire.

All of those things are happening plus more and we are so excited about what God is doing and how everything is coming together. I am also amazed at how the three things listed above all are falling into place to reach the same goal.

We are buying a much larger house than the apartment we live in now so that we can foster three boys who just happen to be in those two boy’s homes that I am visiting every week.

So, what does that have to do with the “I Y you!” sign posted above? Well, it was written by one of the teen boys on my back windshield as he was walking me out to my car this past Sunday after our visit.

This rough around the edges, street smart, low-riding jean, ear ring wearing boy who many would call a delinquent wrote that message.

This kid who was put in a level two home for troubled boys because he was having problems at home, skipping school, and getting into other trouble wrote those special words.

This teen who most people would have given up on but God chose my family to love him and his two teenage brothers thought enough of us to spontaneously write something that very much touched me and my families hearts.

It was written in a place on my back windshield where I saw it every day when I looked in my rear view mirror and, because the review mirror reflects things, it was spelled out perfectly as you can see in the picture above.

Every day for four days I could see it until it began to rain and I snapped a picture of it before it washed away.

To me it was a symbol of what God can do if we just allow him. This boy hasn’t been around real love very much in his messed up and confused life, but God is working in him and allowing me and my family to be a part of it.

This 15 year old kid who not many people cared about is learning to show his smart, good hearted, generous self and allowing himself to love and be loved.

Thank you Lord for loving him and my family and for allowing us to be one of the recipients of his special love.

1 Corinthians 13:13 ... New International Version And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment