Thursday, April 2, 2015

Sarah and I are Blue Today!

We are blue for autism awareness day. Below are two stories, one written today by Sarah and the other written by me when Joshua was first diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and we began this autism journey. Please remember our family and all of the families affected by Autism.
 

 
 

Today is Autism Awareness day...... I have been blessed with two autistic children. The road of autism is at times heartbreaking...frustrating...challenging...tiring AND blessed...awe inspiring...breathtaking...fun...laughable...and so much more!!! I love how God uses our boys for His glory and how through them He has opened doors of ministry for us to help other parents with children of special needs. I love how when I am feeling discouraged or frustrated with my two "special" boys how God gives me what I call "God moments"...those special times when you know it's God reassuring you that it is ok...He has this and He is there. One thing I have learned on this journey is that God can even use Autism for His glory and purpose! No matter how tired, frustrated or how many tears I cry, I am called and blessed by God.




Wednesday, 3 December 2008
Joshua's Diagnosis
Mood:  not sure
Topic: The Kids
Well, it's official. We got the diagnosis today. Our middle child, Joshua, has Asperger's Disorder. Asperger's Disorder (sometimes called Asperger's Syndrome) is in the autism family or clinically referred to as in the autism spectrum. We have suspected this for a long time, and even hoped that this would be the diagnosis. We  have (or maybe I should say he has) struggled for so long, and we have gotten so many opinions and diagnosis that didn't seem right. All of our reading about Aspies (as they are commonly called) seemed to fit Joshua. We were hoping that this was it - finally we would know what it was and how to help him. Well, finally we do know.
It's funny. At first I was relieved. Now, having typed it out, the reality has sunk in and I don't know how I feel. I guess kind of sad. I don't know why. Aspies are generally very bright kids and can function very well in society. Many very successful people are Aspies. Bill Gates is one. They just move to the beat of a different drummer. We just have to recognize that and learn how to teach, discipline, and guide to that beat. Some idiosyncrasies we can allow and just chalk it up to him being made from a different mold. But there are some areas where he is going to have to break out of that mold. Some social behaviors he will have to learn. There are some things that he just doesn't "get". He doesn't read social cues or body language very well and sometimes becomes very frustrated when things don't happen the way he thinks they should happen. Aspies can sometimes seem very selfish, but they aren't trying to be. They just don't understand. It's going to be an interesting path that God has given us to take. Please pray with us and for Joshua as we travel down that path.
I have mentioned just a few characteristics of an Aspie. I'm sure in the days, weeks, years to come, I'll blog about many other things. Until then, I have found a couple of articles about Aspies that you can read if you want to find out more. One is a very short definition and found at www.aspergers.com. Another longer but touching article written by a 48 year old woman who just diagnosed with asperger's is found on the CNN website. (Don't tell anyone that I just linked to CNN. I'll be kicked out of the FOXNEWS fan club!)
Thanks for letting me ramble and being a good listener. Please do pray for us. Remember John Allen, our oldest. This whole thing has been tough on him. Jacob, our two year old, just goes with the flow. Remember Sarah as well. She may seem tough on the outside, but she has a tender mother's heart on the inside. She has shed many tears for her children (and for me as well). Thanks, beforehand, for all of your prayers.
 


2 comments:

  1. My 6 year old has Asperger's. It was frustrating in the beginning not knowing what he had. I knew my son was extraordinary and to finally have answers felt good but when it finally sunk in, I admit I cried. God doesn't give us what we cannot handle. I'm afraid of what he will go through in school when he gets older because he won't fit into the "social norm" but then again my 14 year old daughter daughter quite fit into that either. She loves to read, loves comic books, and japanese anime. that isn't quite the social norm so she gets bullied for it. As a parent we worry for our children especially in today's society. I will pray that the days get easier for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen-Marie, Since we homeschool, we don't have to deal with the school social issues, but we are quite active in the community and have had our share of strange looks from adults and teasing bullying from others. We get our share of people that are understanding and people that aren't. Thank you for your prayers. They are much appreciated. I will definitely be praying for you as well.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete