Friday, December 9, 2011

A lump of coal for Christmas? Why it could really be good for our kids!

Photobucket


Okay, I'm not really going to advocate giving lumps of coal for Christmas, but did you ever think about the things that you really played with as a child? Really, what were your favorite toys?


I remember that burning the trash was one of my jobs when I was a boy. I actually loved playing in the ashes and punching the trash down into the can with the long metal poker that I used. It was actually a lot of fun.


I know! I know! I must have had a rough childhood!


Realistically, though, are kids spoiled these days? I mean, with all of the computer games and videos and electronic toys and gadgets? Or, maybe we were the ones that were spoiled.


There are only a handful of bought toys that I really  remember being my favorites. Sometimes the least expensive things are the best. After all, you always hear the complaints of parents when their kids play with the box more than the toy that came in it!


I read a blog post today that talked about "The 5 Best Toys of All Time". It's funny, but, in a big way, it's true. I'll let you click on the link to find out what they are. It really got me to thinking about what is really valuable in life. Is all of the glitz and all of the expense really worth it? Is it good for our kids? At Christmas time this is something that maybe we all should think about. I'd love to hear your comments. What do you think?


Powered by Qumana


2 comments:

  1. It's always so funny to me to see children with all these toys and all they want is their parent's cell phone or to drum on the pots and pans in the kitchen. Allowing a child to play dress up in mommy or daddy's clothes is free and I've never met a child who didn't prefer that to anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew a stick and box would be on that list! It's the nature of kids to gravitate to those things... One reason our kids don't play with people's i-phones (besides the fact that we don't own them) is b/c I want them growing up to be creative. Video games, all the high tech stuff... it takes a little of that creativity out of kids. The toys that don't do all the talking, all the thinking for the kid, those are the best for encouraging creative thinking.

    ReplyDelete