Sunday, January 31, 2010

New Thru 30 - Jan.19 - Mark 12-16:20, James, Galatians


Well, as you can see I am way behind on my blog notes for New Thru 30. I'm a little ahead on my reading, but not much. I'm planning on catching up both on my blog notes and on my reading this week and finish in style! Anyway, here are my humble observations on this days readings:

Mark 12:29-31 - It is true, that if you follow these two commandments that you will be following all of the other commandments. You would think that these commandments would be easy. Why are they sometimes so hard? Lord, help me to love You with all of my soul, mind and strength and to love my neighbor as myself.

Mark 12:43, 44 - It's not how much you give, it's how you give it. Lord, help me not to be as the Pharisees but as this poor women (poor in wealth but rich in spirit).
Mark 13:7, 8 - This reminds me so much of the state of our world today. We just have to keep on keeping on. Lord, help me not to worry about what is going on around me, but help me to keep serving you.

Mark 14,15 - I think I mentioned this in my notes from Matthew, but it is hard to pick certain things out to comment on when it comes to the last days of Jesus' life and the crucifixion. It is strangely heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time. Heart wrenching in that Jesus had to go through all of that just for us, but heart warming that He did go through it just for us. Lord, thank you for being willing to die a terrible death so that we could have life.
Mark 16:15 - Lord, help me to always live my life as a witness to you as well as going out to tell others.

James 1:2-4 - I always try to remember these verses when I am going through trials. Even the trials that we bring on ourselves God can use to strengthen us. Thank you Lord for refining us like gold through the trials that you give us. Although they are painful, you are turning us into something beautiful for you.

James 1:17 - Amen!

James 1:19 - I am so often the opposite of this. I am quick to speak and quick to get angry but slow to listen. Lord, help me to memorize this and put it in my heart to obey.
James 2:1-4 - I have experienced this first hand from working with low income folks. Churches are quick to accept the doctors and lawyers that can do something for them, and also quick to shun the less fortunate. Lord help me to always be accepting of all folks no matter what they look like.

James 2:8-11 - Now I know why they had us read James before Galatians. These verses fit so nicely in with the theme of Galatians. Salvation is by grace. Thank you Lord.

James 2:17 - Lord, help me to have a live faith!

James 3:1-12 - This is for us all. We all need to tame the tongue. Please forgive me for the things I say everyday to my family and friends that should be left unsaid.

James 3:17,18 - I suppose there is a place for those Christians who feel the need to protest at rallies and in front of abortion clinics and the like. There was a day that I would do the same ~ perhaps even still today if the occasion were right. How much more affective, however, is a Christian who is truly accepting to the sinner but just hates the sin. Lord, help me to be quick to love and not quick to shun.
James 4:7-10 - There is no way that we can reach the glory of God. The only thing that we can do is humble ourselves before God and allow Him to do the work. Lord, help me to stop trying to do things on my own, and to allow you to do things in me and through me.

James 5:15, 16 - "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. Lord, help me to be a righteous man.

James 5:17 - Elijah was an awesome man! Lord, I have so little faith at times. Please forgive me.
Galatians 1:4 - Have there ever been any ages that weren't evil? Lord, I echo that verse. Please rescue us from this present evil age.

Galatians 1:6-10 - How relevant to this day and age. Oh Lord, help me to always preach a clear and true Gospel.
Galatians 2:4,5 - There are still "false brothers" that try to infiltrate our churches even today. Help me, Lord, not to be a false brother, but help me, again, to always teach a clear and true Gospel.

Galatians 2:12 - I chuckled to myself when I read this. Not because I thought that what Peter was doing was funny, but I have mentioned so many times in my notes about how much the disciples had grown and how powerful the Holy Spirit had become in their lives. This verse, however, reminded me of the old, impulsive Peter. Lord, help me to never put my hope in any man, but only in You. Men are human, and we all make mistakes and sometimes slip back into our old ways. Thank you for always giving us another chance.

Galatians 2:20 - Amen!

Galatians 3:24-25 - I used to be so confused about what Galatians is saying. I still get confused sometimes, but it is a lot clearer. The laws of the Old Testament were to show us that there is no way that we can follow them perfectly. We can't get to Heaven by following rules and laws, we need a Savior. Thank you, Lord, for being that Savior.

Galatians 4:21-31 - I know that I have studied Galatians before. Why has this never stood out to me? Lord, thank you for always revealing something new to us as we study about You.
Galatians 5:22-23 - Help me, Lord, to always bare the fruits of the Spirit.
Galatians 6:7,8 - These are two of the first verses that I taught to my nephews when I was discipling them many years ago. Sometimes I need to reminded of them myself. Lord, help me to remember that I will reap what I sow.
Galatians 6:14 - Help me to never boast in anything but you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment