Saturday, January 23, 2010

New Thru 30 - Jan. 18 - Mark 1:1 to 11:33



Argh! I am so behind. But, I am forging ahead. Perhaps, if I keep reading a day's worth of readings every day, I will catch up during the grace days.

I changed the way I am phrasing the titles. I wasn't sure if I should add the grace days in and call this "Day 8" or just "Day 6", so I just decided to not call it either one. I'm listing the day that it should be read on according to the Reading Plan. Maybe I will go back and change the other titles to the same format. Anyway, here goes with my notes for Jan. 18th's reading.

Mark 1:6 - My first thought was how I would treat Jesus' cousin, John, if I were to meet him today. Would I think he was some kind of loon because of the way he was dressed? Would I be accepting or rejecting? It really made me think. Lord, help me to be accepting to all people no matter how they dress, smell, or act because I know, Lord, that You use all types of people from all walks of life for Your glory.

Mark 1:20 - Would I leave everything for Jesus? Lord help me to realize that everything comes from you and everything ultimately belongs to you. I can do nothing without you. Thank you for all that you have given me. Help me to hold loosely to all things.

Mark 2:7 - So many times we look down on the religious leaders of Jesus' day. While reading this I started thinking ~ "Am I really that different from them. Would I react that way if something like that happened to me?" Lord, help me to never look down on people. Help me to learn from their mistakes so that I don't make the same ones. Help me to realize that if it weren't for Your grace, those mistakes could be mine.

Mark 3:11,12 - I have read this many times, that Jesus gave people or demons the command to not tell people what had happened or who He was. I have often wondered why that was so. Lord, I don't always understand all things, but I do understand that now you have given us the command to go and tell others about you. Help me never to be afraid to speak boldly of you.

Mark 3:29 - For some reason, people have a hard time with the so called unpardonable sin. My feeling is that this is the unpardonable sin. If you refuse to believe that Jesus is God and that He died on the cross for your sins, then there is no way that you can be saved. Thank you, Lord, for providing a way of salvation.

Mark 4 - I have always loved the parables of Jesus. You can learn so much from them. Thank you, Lord, for your teachings and your wise parables.

Mark 5:38-43 - What great faith on the part of the woman and what great power Jesus possesses. Oh to be able to just touch the tip of your coat, Lord.

Mark 6&7 - I didn't take many notes for these two chapters. Jesus' teachings and miracles are awesome. Thank you for preserving your word, Lord.

Mark 8:17-19 - Again the tendency is to shake your head in wonder at how dense the disciples could be. However, again, would I be much different if it were me? Lord, I ask that you help me to never get big headed.

Mark 8:34 - Lord, help me to put things in perspective and remember that all I really need is You.

Mark 9:5,6 - I have to smile sometimes at things. I would probably do the same thing, but I'm often amused at how impulsive Peter could be. Lord, thank you for helping us to see humor sometimes. Help us to learn from that humor.

Mark 9:24 - Lord, I do believe: help me overcome my unbelief.

Mark 9:35, 10:43-45 - I often have to remind myself that I need to serve others. There is an old song that we used to sing at home ~ Jesus and Others and You, what a wonderful way to spell JOY. Lord, help me to always put You first, Others second and myself last.

Mark 10:6-8 - If we (including me) could just learn to live by those verses, so many problems would be avoided in life. Help me, Lord, to be united with my wife and to put her needs above all other humans needs.

Mark 10:27 - Thank you, Lord, for those verses. Help me to always remember that all things are possible with You.

Mark 11 - The events of the days that led up to Jesus' crucifixion are fascinating but sad. Thank you, Lord, for all that you went through for us. So that we could have a chance to spend eternity with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment