Monday, January 11, 2010

New Thru 30 - Day 1 - Matthew 1:1 to 12:50


I've been teaching the Bible to children for nearly 30 years now and it never ceases to amaze me how I learn something new all of the time. One problem I have, though, is really studying the Bible for myself. I love teaching, but often neglect the personal quiet time that I should be having. It reminds of the Larnelle Harris song I Miss My Time With You. Here are the lyrics to the verse:

I miss my time with you Those moments together I need to be with you each day And it hurt's Me when you say You're too busy Busy trying to serve Me But how can you serve Me When your spirit's empty There's a longing in my heart Wanting more than just a part of you It's true I miss my time with you

It's a song about God missing the quiet time that He should be having with us. You would think that as a full time missionary that I should have learned this lesson long ago, but I haven't. That's why I am so excited to be taking part in the New Thru 30 Challenge! I have been reading a day ahead of time, so the comments I am making for today are from what I actually read yesterday.

It is so refreshing to be in God's Word for myself - not studying for some Bible Club or homeschool lesson that I have to do. I have been doing a lot of teaching on the Old Testament lately, and I didn't realize how much I missed the New Testament. I loved it! The Lord spoke to me in so many ways while reading it. The Beatitudes, lessons on trust, worry, discipleship - I needed to hear them all. I was worried that I would get bogged down or tired while reading so many chapters at once, but it flowed and took no time at all. It was truly refreshing!

I'm really looking forward to this challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment