Thursday, June 30, 2016

I Went to Court the Other Day. He Sobbed!

 
 
I went to court the other day. I went to support a family that was having problems with their boys. Well, let me take that back. It's really a combination of problems. The boys, who attend my teen boy's Bible Study, do have some problems, but some of the difficulties are because of the parents as well.

Two of the brothers are already in a group home because of truancy while the other was under the care of a group whose goal was to keep him in the home.

His parents had obligations to fulfill as well. The parents are divorced and both remarried. Three out of the four have problems of one type or another that the court wanted addressed.

Unfortunately the parents weren't handling their problems and addictions as quickly as the judge would have liked so he removed the remaining boy from the home and put him into foster care.

When the young 13 year old brother heard the judge he began to sob.

My heart began to sob as well.

My heart cried for the boys. They are trying so hard to do what is right. A couple of months back I asked for permission to visit the boys. I explained what I did and my relationship to them. The state workers put me on the list to visit and, then, asked if I would be willing to attend all of the court and DCS meetings as "positive support" for the boys and the family. So, as well as doing Bible studies with the boys and the parents, I have also become part of the team of people that meet together and try to resolve things so that the boys can return home.

My heart cried for the parents. They are not perfect by any means and they know it. There are times that I would like to wring their necks! But, at the same time, they are God's children. If God is never going to give up on us or them and if I am to strive to be like God then I need to love them, forgive them, and not give up on them. They live in an area that most people have given up on. They've given up on the people and given up on the trailer park where they live. I choose not to. I choose to love them and continue to seek God's wisdom as to how to help them. God is still in the miracle business!

Change has not come without difficulty, but things are progressing. The parents are finally beginning to do what they should. The boys will hopefully be put together in one home in the near future after the two oldest are dismissed from the group home.

Please continue to pray for these boys, their family, and me as I continue to pray with and for them, lead a Bible study that some of the parents attend, and try to teach them, with God's guidance to do the right things.

Sometimes ministry is really hard. Especially when you see a 13 year old boy sob. But, I know God can work miracles.

Romans 8:28 says:

And we know that for those who love God
all things work together for good,
for those who are called
according to his purpose.
 
I know that these boys love God, so I know all things are going to work together for good. There may be some painful times ahead, but they will make it with God's help.
 
Thank you for your prayers for these boys and our ministry. Your prayers are definitely felt!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment