Monday, February 29, 2016

Scripture Sunday - God's Word Will NOT Return Void

 
David, Skiler and Robert (the three boys beside me) at a recent Bible study.
My three sons joined them that day.
 
 
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

 
Some of you may know that I lead a Bible Study with a group of teenage boys from a very impoverished section of our town. They range in age from 13-16. It started with just three brothers but they invited friends and others joined until it has now grown to about six. Another 18 year old boy was coming for a while but usually dominated the study and was very obstinate at times so Sarah and I are going to start doing a Bible Study with just him. I take the boys to McDonalds or Burger King, buy them a drink and sometimes a sandwich and we sit, chat, and study together.
 
You never know what is going to happen with these kids. There are some weeks where they are attentive and some weeks where their minds are in outer space or they want to joke and fool around. I invited them to a special praise and worship time at our church the other night and they sat like lumps on a log and didn't participate at all.
 
God's Word will not return void.
 
Each one of them has a wall that I am trying to break through.
 
Poverty built these walls.
Parents who are parents in name only built these walls. Being the outcasts in life built these walls.
Struggling to survive built these walls.
Life built these walls.
 
Each Bible study, each time we meet informally, each event that I take them to is an opportunity for God to chink a little of those walls away. Although I am thankful that two of the six kids have trusted the Lord since we began this Bible study last fall, I sometimes get discouraged that I am not seeing more fruit than I am. I hang my hope, though, on the above verse. Especially the "My word . . . shall not return unto me void" part. I know that even though I might not see the progress, God does. God knows what is going on and at just the right time his word will "prosper in the thing whereto I (God) sent it". God knows what He is doing and God will continue working on those young men long after I am gone.
 
God's Word will not return void.
 
Please pray for these boys. Pray for
 
David
Skiler
Robert
Brian
Raymond
Dustin
 
And any other boys that might join our group. Pray that God will break down the walls that have been built around those boys. Pray that God will continue to use me and give me the words to say. Thank you ahead of time!
 
God's Word will not return void.




No comments:

Post a Comment