Sunday, January 31, 2016

Scripture Sunday - Do All in the Name of the Lord Jesus.

 
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed,
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

I take a group of teen boys out once a week for a Bible study. We usually go to a fast food joint, get a soft drink, and sit at a corner table. Most of the time I have something prepared, but sometimes I just sit and listen. Two brothers have come to almost every study while another brother is a fairly regular attender. Every once in a while we have a neighbor boy or a friend that comes. Last week was one of those times. A friend of the brothers came. Although the neighborhood where they live is very impoverished and the folks that live there can tend to be rough around the edges, this friend has a totally different world view than even they have. And I'm not talking in the good way.

This friend seems to feel that he can live like the world but still be a Christian. We talked a lot about God wanting to be first in his life. I mentioned that God wants to be on the throne of his heart and that when we want to do our own thing we are putting ourselves on the throne and replacing God. After a fairly lively discussion, I told him I was going to look up verses on making sure God is number one in our hearts.

On Friday my kids began a new homeschool writing curriculum and, lo and behold, the theme verse for the study just happened to be Colossians 3:17 - a perfect verse to share with my Bible Study friend.

Please continue to pray for this boy as God keeps working on his heart. Pray that God will give Sarah and I the words that He wants us to share with him. While you are praying, ask God to show you who is on the throne of your heart. I'll be doing the same and I'll be telling myself . . .

And whatever you (I) do, whether in word or deed,
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17





No comments:

Post a Comment